2018 Mobile SEO Tips for Startup Businesses.
Having a website is a big accomplishment for most small businesses. Many businesses are taking advantage of online presence nowadays, but very few are reaping the fruits of online marketing. The first question you should ask yourself is whether your website is mobile friendly. Any website can show up in mobile view, but what matters is the user experience and ability to provide the important information in different screen sizes.
It is important to conduct a mobile audit to know your position before optimizing for mobile devices. There are many ways to check your website for mobile experience. The easiest way is to simply visit your website using different devices to check whether your website is mobile friendly. When it comes to tools, our favorite tool is browserstack which will help you see how your website is displayed in different browsers, devices, and more. The user experience includes things like text display, buttons, images, and more.
How to optimize your website for mobile
- Content is still the most important part of your website. Keep in mind is the fact that you don’t need all the information from your desktop version. Remove all the fluff and only incorporate the important information for your mobile website.
- Responsive design: Desktop and mobile can have slightly different designs due to screen sizes. This does not mean that you should have a completely different design. You can stick with the main theme, while making sure that the page does not break once viewed in smaller screens.
- Call to action is very important especially in mobile devices. Make sure that the phone numbers are clickable so that users can be able to call you in one click. It is important to create clickable links for phone numbers and email addresses to improve user experience.
- Meta tags for mobile websites are slightly different, but follows the same rules. It is important to use keywords to target the most important phrases for your business throughout the website. Those keywords will help you rank in search results. Another thing to consider is the use of your location so that your website will show up for all local searches. Last thing is the use of long tail keywords. Due to technology advances, voice searches are becoming very popular, from siri to alexa, people talk to their mobile devices as if they are people. Long tail keywords like “where can i find discounted tickets for a concert” can work great for a mobile site. Having said that, keep in mind that your title tags still need to be short and clear, long tail keywords can be used in content, meta descriptions, and other places.
- Page speed is very important nowadays. People are extremely busy and don’t have patience to wait for a slow website to load before they decide to turn to your competitors. Things like website coding and images can make your website slower than normal. Proper code optimization is crucial when it comes to website speed and user experience.
Which options do you have?
There are many ways to do this, but one option we recommend the most is using responsive design for your website. This option will allow you to edit the code depending on your screen size without having to recreate a separate website for mobile devices. The other ways includes dynamic serving and creating a separate website for mobile. An experienced web developer will help you pick the right option for your mobile site. Mobile optimization can be an easy task for an experienced developer, but can be a nightmare for people who don’t know what they are doing. Staff at Metrovista have the tools and experience to help you get it right the first time. We want all our partners to be able to invest more time on the business and less time fixing websites.